Saturday, January 14, 2012

TATE Modern


Here is a long overdue post of my trip to the TATE Moder Museum last month in London.
It is  f r e e.
All day, everyday, for anyone who wants to go. 
You should take a page out of their book, MoMA, Guggenheim, Frick, New Museum.
ART! For the people by the people! 


Film. By Tacita Dean.

 
The one multiple choice question I got wrong on my final.




I got to sit there in London and watch the whole thing. 
How's that for irony?



 It was so beautiful.



 Staircase III by Do Ho Suh


So wonderfully surreal.





 Truths by Jenny Holzer. 
I love all these quotes, but a few more than others.
Money creates taste


 There was a full Guerilla Girls exhibit. 
It was nice to see in person for so long what I'd only read about.

 GERHARD RICHTER SPECIAL EXHIBITION
was worth the entire trip to London. 

I knew he and his work is untouchable as it is epic, but I had no idea of his versatility. 
This show had pieces from every period of his life, from the very start to his most recent abstract series from 2011. There were SO many photo based paintings I had never seen, the Clouds blew me away. As well as this one below, inspired by paint swatches. He started with the 3 primary colors, and made every single color by mixing them. It was awe inspiring. 





This is a detail from one of Richter's many squeegee paintings. 



The entire UK trip was incredible, but this one museum, the Gerhard show specifically was the cherry on the cupcake of amazing. I can't wait to go back next month, and spend more time with family and friends, who I already miss so much. 

Scotland, England and France, 
watch out, I'm a'comin'!



No comments:

Post a Comment