Friday, January 21, 2011

PAINTINGS/ PORTFOLIO PHOTOS

Here are some pictures I've taken myself of some of my recent work. They are all from the past 12 months, which may not sound too recent, but its the most focused and cohesive my portfolio has been thus far into my life, so, enjoy :-D


^This^ is the first piece I did for what is turning out to be a long series of music-based diptychs. I put my shoes in there for scale (my feet are quite large, to give you some idea of the massive scale of this piece). I painted it based off of two photos I took during a :::hangs head::: 3OH!3 concert I went to a year or so ago. Guilty pleasure! Alright you GOT me! But it was a pretty awesome show. The opening bands were dressed head to toe in barn animal costumes. Also I got to meet the band, ahem, two dudes and their iPod, after the show.










^These next two^ are of the wonderful band Frightened Rabbit. If you don't know who these guys are yet DO FIND OUT, because your life will be forever improved upon hearing them. They are absolutely incredible, and I've seen them on 4 (four!) separate occasions, in different venues, with old and new band members, electric sets and one acoustic only show. Don't let all the beards and flannel shirts fool you, they are not your everyday vaguely folkish scottish indy band. THESE SCOTS KNOW HOW TO ROCK!!!

^These next two^, not that anyone can tell, are of the band Plants and Animals, who played Webster Hall with Frightened Rabbit this past fall. These paintings hang vertically, over each other, and are about 6' high when together. Can you tell purple is my favorite color?


I'm going to be honest, ^these^ got a little out of hand, color wise. Other than that they are seemingly passable as finished pieces. Also of Frightened Rabbit, although its really more like an "inspired by" piece. Like when a movie is very very loosely based around some kind of real life happenings but they take a lot of liberties with every factor? Like that.


Last but not least, the smaller, singular piece of the singer in The Phantom Band. This band played to a sold out Terminal 5 show with FR the day before Halloween. The best show yet, if I do say so myself, other than the fact that I missed the handing out of tickets for ladies in costume, thought I clearly was, as everyone behind me could see (which was everyone 'cause I was front row center, standing nearly 6' tall, with an extra 6 inches of rabbit ears on, sorry short people!)

Here's a link to a review of that EPIC show, and if you'll notice the 4th thumbnail, the girl in the rabbit mask making the OOOOoooooOOOOOOooo sound is yours truly.

Don't be shy with comments people! I can only improve what I do with constructive criticism, so don't hesitate to dish it out. I can take it. But keep in mind, I too can dish it. Even if you're not an art fan, look up the bands and share your thoughts, everyone has an opinion, share it!

Signing off for now,
A


1 comment:

  1. Hello Miss Alexa!
    Loving your Blogspot,I have to say my favourite paintings posted so far have got to be the ones were you say you got out of hand with the colour. Maybe that's why I like them though... I see a huge connection between music and colour. I think its the vividness and brightness of the bursts of colour that represent the creativity and energy of the music. I don't know a great deal about art but looking at those paintings makes me want to be part of whats going on :)
    Anyways can't wait to see more...
    Jilly x.

    ReplyDelete